Thursday, September 20, 2012

Who Was I?

Today I was mistaken for somebody else by a dying man.
I had been with him for almost an hour and had to go.
I took his hands and said quietly "I have to go now"
I thought he was sleeping, but his eyes flew open
He looked straight at me, alert and in the clearest voice I had heard the whole visit,
"Oh please don't go!"
So I stayed a bit more, and he clasped my hands as though I was most beloved.
Then he pulled my head towards him and kissed my cheek and said " I love you."
So I told him I loved him too. Maybe I was his daughter in that moment,
Maybe an old friend, a younger version of his wife?
He then asked me to return as soon as I could, said goodbye and closed his eyes.
I hope I was someone he needed to say goodbye to,
to kiss and to hold his hand.
He will be gone soon and I will never know who I was to him but I'm glad I was there.

1 comment:

SSW Ramblings said...

Wow, that is SO precious. *tear