Thursday, September 20, 2012

Being Human Can Mean A Lot

Someone appreciated me today and it was uncomfortable.
I didn't do anything different than what I do daily, I talked with my patient,
I smoothed his brow, I held his hand,
I asked him if he were scared and he said "no."
I talked with his family and friends, I laughed with them,
and then I held their hands when they cried.
My patients friend then turned to me, with tears in his eyes and thanked me.
He hugged me and told me how grateful he was that I was there.
There was a lump in my throat because I was just being human, sharing their pain,
sharing their loss, sharing their laughter and their presence,
but somehow, it meant the world to him.
I should feel comfortable with appreciation, but I'm not.
Not yet. Maybe never.
Maybe that is why I am here, just to be myself and in being present, and sharing in life is in itself a comfort to those in need. No fanfare, no professional opinions, no certifications, just human.

No comments: