Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Patients Like Family

I don't know you, or I've known you for minutes, or hours but I know things about you that most wouldn't know after years of knowing you. I wiped your tears, I held you, I brought you ice when you punched a wall in anger and grief. You are my patients, you are my families, you are those who have lost the loves of your life, fathers, mothers, wives, husbands, children, lovers...............and you grieve, sob, so many ways you show your despair. I am there to see it all. I sit with your emotion, I sit with you when you crawl on the floor, when you curl into a ball, when you sit with your head in your hands and sob, when you sit and say nothing at all. I caught you when you fell, I held you when you needed something to hold onto and most of you won't remember my name and that's okay. Some names I remember, some I don't, most of all I remember the breaking of hearts, the sighs, the looks of disbelief and the tears that though bitter and full of fear will with time, bring healing and mend the broken heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ending seems a tad too neat and tidy.