Monday, August 11, 2008

Still here

I just found out you are still alive. It's been several months since I saw you last and I feared you had finally succumed to a life of heroin.

I've lost count on how many times I sent you to rehab. I remember the time you came in with pneumonia, were filthy, dope sick and desperately needed clothes and a wash and I did that for you and you thanked me.

I don't know why you out of so many others sit on my brain, and why I continue to help you. I really don't.

Maybe it's because one time I saw you, you were clean. Your eyes were bright, your hair was washed and combed, you had some meat on your bones and I felt hope.

Hope. That must be what keeps me coming back to this place. To turn the corner and see you there looking good. To turn the corner and see you looking bad but knowing somehow you are the reason I keep plugging away. To see if your still here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A lot of Boomers can, unfortunately, relate to this.