Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Facts

At any given time there are over 4000 homeless in my state (in New England).
Last year shelter workers had to turn away 30,000 in need of shelter for lack of room.
2000 people, including 400 children are in shelters everyday.
One January night in 2007 when the temperature was 20 degrees, a count all around our state was taken. There were found to be 3,325 households homeless. Of these, there were 392 families and 797 children. 10 percent of these families were found sleeping on the street or in places unsuitable for habitation.
With heating oil, food prices and other commodities at an all time high this year, I can only imagine what January will look like this year. I have stocked up my homeless closet with hats, scarves, mittens, socks and sweatshirts and coats. It won't be enough. I have many packets of information at the ready for those who need shelter. I don't know if it will help.
Why is this so prevalent in this country when so many have so much?
I hate this time of year..............I feel so helpless.

4 comments:

Awake and Dreaming said...

I so understand. And it's so frustrating. I think on of the hardest parts of my job has got to be turning people away from our shelter when we're full. I don't know how I'm going to do it once we're below freezing. And then it gets so cold here. So cold your skin can freeze in minutes, and I'll have to say, nope, we're full, go freeze somewhere. My supervisor reminds me that people are resourceful, and they've been staying alive for a long time and will continue to do so, but still. We fill up every night now, and it hasn't even snowed.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean. For what it's worth..

socialworkemergency said...

I am dreading the first frost. We end up letting people stay in the waiting room some nights. There is a church in the city that will take people all night long, so we send them in cabs. But I know people who sleep in abandoned buildings and would rather take their chances with the weather than with the crime at the shelters. Ech. What can we do?

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I feel helpless too. We see a huge increase in intakes at the prison this time of year. People actuallly violate probation on purpose or commit petty crimes to have a warm place to stay for the winter. It's really quite sad.